Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Diode

Another easy one today; The Diode..



My friend Andy offered up the idea that I should take notes to reinforce memory of certain fact, so this is what I typed out while watching this video and reading the wiki...

Diode allow flow of electricity in only one direction in a circuit. Effectively converts alternate current, AC to direct current, DC
Zener Diode, also known as avalanche diode low voltage, prevent damage to components
Signal Diode, low voltage
Rectifier Diode, hi voltage, so called because it converts AC to DC, ie rectification
Light emitting diode, LED
varicap diode is also used as a capacitor
1874 Ferdinand Braun, accidentally discovered first diode
Yungadish Chandra Bose, used similar device to look for electromagnic waves
P/N Junction Russel Shcumacher Ohl, 1939 discovered mixing impurities with semiconductor crystal, usually silicon, would allow control of how well it would conduct electricity, P = Positive, N = Negative (duh). Put them end to end, you have a diode

The interest here is not only in the knowledge of the parts. I would like to build a tube amplifier or two, for both instrument and hi-fi stereo amplification. I have a developed ear that hears that difference while playing guitar. I'm sure there's a difference with playing recorded music too.

One last note; As I'm out and about and may not be able to post here every day. This is an interesting thing to try though and I will endeavor to persevere...

No comments: